Penang Bridge International Marathon 2013 Race Report

The very first visit to Penang after my secondary school graduation trip was indeed a memorable one. A place rich of heritage, cultures and people, not to mention the good food in Penang (we have tasted them and some of them are not to be missed). Besides, this is the land where I have completed my first Full Marathon in life. It is pain, tough, challenging but worth the sweat.

On 16th November, we (friends and family trip) started the journey heading north at 5am in 2 cars. After stopped by Ipoh town for dim sum, we reached Penang at 12pm. Checking in the apartment located at Air Hitam, we headed to our first tourist spot, Kek Lok Si temple.
Driving distance from our apartment to the destination was 10 minutes approx. After some photo session in temple, we had a not too great dinner at Penang famous hawker stall located along the UMNO building and row of museums/ art galleries. The crowd, pricey food and congested environment made up a fast dinner for the night.

Restaurant Foh San, the most famous Dim Sum Restaurant in Ipoh.

Kek Lok Si Temple (taken 16th November 2013)

17th November 2013, the long-awaited day, it has gathered 47,000 people coming from all parts of Malaysia and regions of world together for a same reason. It was not easy as the rain had started around Queensbay Mall prior to the race. 2 AM sharp, my enduring 42 kilometers’ game finally starts – the Penang Bridge International Marathon (PBIM 2013).

Full Marathon + Raining 
Picture source: Penangmarathon.gov


Full Marathon (Category A,B,C & D) Starts at 2am

Start Slow, Finish Strong! Marathoners…

In the first 19km, everything was good. The pace, the breathing, both legs are fine. My best friend and I were able to overtake the 6.00 hour pacer at some distances. After the toilet break and bread session in 21km mark, the table turned.

In 25km, I felt exhausted and the thought of surrender popped out instantaneously. Some of the Full Marathon runners were spotted sitting beside the race path and look depressed. Trying to use the walking-running-walking strategy, I keep motivating myself that this is not going to end until I saw the finishing line.

At 33km mark, it was about 7 in the morning and there was an endless route posing in front of me. Thanks to the ice-pack provided along the route, I can do some slow jogging and it was not easy at all.

38km mark, I felt relieved knowing that I can finish this cruel thing within the cut-off hour. In the final kilometer, the sun, deejays, celebrations and music are all around, feeling alive and started my running pace again. YES. I saw it. That’s all but a huge finishing gate I passed. This was certainly more than words and pictures can tell.

Today is the day I joined the only 1% of the world population to have conquered the Full Marathon.

 Precious moment, crossing the finishing line.

Official Timing: 6 hour 28 minutes

Three Half Marathoners (brothers) 

Proudly I told myself: I DID IT!

Comments