My Titi Ultra 100km (16-17 March 2019)


What’s the idea of running the 100 km category road race in Titi Ultra 2019? The course itself is almost 2.5 times of distance for Full Marathon (42.195 km) and 5 times for Half, and this doesn’t account for the elevation changes encountered along the uphill and downhill road. To get things serious, there is a cut-off time allotted at each checkpoint (CP) to assure that all runners are able to complete their race within permitted duration.
The Course Record
100km Race Elevation Chart
A-Z Preparation for 100km

The 100 km category started at 4pm. Everyone on the road were greeted with full blast of sun and devastating temperature on the Saturday afternoon. After the first kilometer mark, my buddy overtook and no longer be seen. From 4pm to 7pm, the runners had to endure the extreme heat along the undulating winding road, while patiently walk and jog toward the CP1 and CP2. Things were starting to pick up at dark after overcoming all the negativities when the sun goes down. Despite being alone on the course, my body and mind feel more relaxed on my pace. Slowly and steadily I’ve entered the CP5 at Puom village at 1130pm. Now the remaining time to cut-off is 10.5 hours now, with 52.5km to finishing.
Mandatory Item Check
Game Start!
Checkpoint (CP) *Photos from Titi Ultra 19

The temperature is getting lower at night time. I put on my long sleeve t-shirt and continue the journey. It was a long and quiet night, yet the oomph factor keep on inspiring me to move on. Sometimes, at some point on the road, it was only the headlamp on my head giving small lights of hope in their darkness. Thankfully the volunteers and support crew were there to cheer up the runners by handing out candies and power gels in the middle of race. A little warmth goes a long way.
Keep Fighting! *Photo from Titi Ultra 19

The Volunteers at CP *Photo from Titi Ultra 19
Us! *Photo from Titi Ultra 19

During the race I don’t get a chance to refuel myself with a carbo-loading meal. All the food and snacks in my pack offered only temporary relief from the real-food temptation. It was not until I met with a group of support crew at CP9. They offered a generous bowl of warm broth and rice in which I quickly chowed down to my stomach within seconds. It was proved to be the most effective food for that morning. Now it was only less than 15 km to completion.  
I'm Back ! Grasped with 100 km in hand !
Offload!
Souvenir Bought with A Purpose :)

I’ve finally survived my 100 km long distance race within the cut-off and the time clocked is 17 hours, 24 minutes and 55 seconds. The rest is history. Gladly It is the same lady waiting for me at the finishing, and together we feasted the food served at the school canteen. After all, 100km is just another attainment in my running life and I am proud that I faced it with courage and everything.
Timing for 100km
Keep Going ! *Photo from Titi Ultra 19

Comments