Philippines - Mount Pinatubo Trek 2013

My first overseas trek was the Mount Pinatubo of Philippines. It was an unforgettable yet precious experience in lifetime. Sometimes I was wondering that what has made the trip so special. In fact it all happened in a night where we started the long journey (by various modes of transportation – bus, motorcycle, jeep car, jeepney) to a city named Tarlac at hundreds kilometers away. It was the first time I went on an exciting adventure with the wonderful local friends whom I met in just two weeks. It was also the first time I spent more than 20 hours outdoor in a foreign country that I am completely strange with, physically tiring but worth it all.

 Picture of the Day (Left to Right: Jeffrey, me, Asi, Jo, Annabelle, Thesa, Joy, Mario)

On 24th November, there were eight of us boarded the bus from Bataan to Tarlac City. The overall journey took approximately four hours. After that, we got ourselves into a motorcycle ride of 45 minutes before reaching the entrance of Pinatubo. It was 8am in the morning and the registration counter was crowded with visitors coming from all parts of world. Next, we got into the Jeep and ready to move on to the trekking point of Pinatubo.

Motorcycle Ride (four in one)

Jeep Car Ride @ Mount Pinatubo

My eyes were soon amazed with the surroundings of Pinatubo. Believe that after the volcano eruption event in June 1991, it brought a major makeover to the agriculture sector and local economics, the national tourism and even caused a drop in global temperature. Ironically it leaves nothing but a vast land of white lava dust and ashes.

At the trekking point, we took another 7 km walk towards the Pinatubo Crater Lake, the main destination. The trek was not tough and we managed to reach the crater in less than 3 hours.

The trek starts…7 km to go

The Route

Walls of sand, dust

Walk, Walk and Walk


Rest station, 1 km to go...


The last 15 minutes of Pinatubo trekking, countdown-ing our steps
  
Welcome to the Lake Crater @ Pinatubo, Philippines

Finally, we got down from the crater at 2pm, and most of us were already exhausted. It was 7pm in the evening when everyone finished cleaning the body back at the registration place. Without further delay, we departed to the SM San Fernando Mall, had dinner before returning home. We arrived safely at 1200am before waving bye and goodnight to everyone. It was a record of 21 hours spent outdoor without break. I had never been feeling so young, not when I flipped through the memories of ‘The Unexpected Journey’ created with all my lovely friends.


It’s been a year since and we did not meet each other after that. However I am delighted to know that everyone is having a good life in the country. Special thanks to Mario, Theresa, Joy, Belle, Asi, Jeffrey and Jo for the great friendship and of course, I always missed Jo’s screaming.

The Unexpected Journey @ Pinatubo trek

Forrest Gump: Bubba was my best good friend. And even I know that ain’t something you can find just around the corner.

Forrest Gump: My momma always said you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes, where they go, where they’ve been. I’ve worn lots of shoes, I bet if I think about it real hard I can remember my first pair of shoes.

[Quoted Forrest Gump movie, 1994]


Comments

  1. "The trek was not tough and we managed to reach the crater in less than 3 hours.". Haha, it was very tough for us non-hikers. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing blog Tien! Keep it up! Hope you can join us in Mt Pulag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo: It's a good trek, we had multiple rests and meeting with the locals too.

    Thanks Mario!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment