Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon 2016: Full Marathon Race Report

Three years after my first full distance marathon at Penang Bridge, I made a comeback for the Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon 2016 (SCKLM). This year, with the new cut-off time being extended to 7 hours for FM category, it is guaranteed to be more participations and fun.

It was not an usual Sunday morning, I had to wake up at 1.30 a.m. and drove to Kelana Jaya LRT station. Boarding the LRT was a wise choice, you can save up the time looking for limited car park at nearby Dataran Merdeka. The train also stops lesser along the journey and believe me, you will be right into the running mood with bunch of avid runners riding the midnight marathon train!! To top it all, the LRT service is FOC (Freeee)!!

Rows of mobile toilets spotted!
*#SCKLMTip1: Plan Ahead. Make sure that you bring along your touch & go card to avoid the queue for purchasing ticket at Masjid Jamek station, after the race.

Picture taken before entering Pen. 4

My starting pen was no. 4, given based on the estimated finishing time the participant put on at time of registration. It was a great morning with not-too-cold temperature and the air was clear of haze. 4 a.m., Full Marathon category started with a bang.

Starting of Full Marathon category at 4 a.m.

Sub-7 hour pacer calling for last runners...
#SCKLMKTip2: Read Ahead. Download and Read the SCKLM Guide 2016 prior to race. I found it helpful with all event information and running tips provided. However, if you still have doubts, don’t be bother to message SCKLM through Facebook message.

SCKLM hospitality tent

This time, I came with better preparations, both mentally and physically. Bagged with the experience of PBIM and Route 68 Challenge, I am mindful of the confidence and patience it takes for me to conquer the whole course of 42.195 km. The first 9 km was about getting through the Kuala Lumpur City Centre, passing few KL monorail stations, the Petronas Twin Towers and Pavilion mall.  Entering the AKLEH soon after, it was another 10 km clocked on the highway. At this point, I was able to overtake the 6-hour pacer and catching up 5.30-hour. Everything was great, except with slight pain felt on the side of left knee.

Before taking the DUKE highway from MRR2, there was a KM 20 mark in between. Running along the infamous MRR2 was distressing with passing of heavy vehicles and its accompanying smog. Whilst at DUKE, it was more like a never ending road laid down in front of me. I decided to do normal walking pace for few hundred meters before moving on at KM 26. I must not push too hard on myself for me to cross the finish line strong.

For the FM and HM finishers 

8.00 a.m. and I managed to complete a total of 30 kilometers so far. At Jalan Kuching exit, now I am on the way back to the finishing point with less than 12 km to cover. The knee pain has never ceased, yet feeling more intense. Final part of race, the full marathon runners reunited with all runners before separating with fellow 10 km and 5 km runners again at Jalan Cenderawasih.

Next comes the grudging part for most of the marathon race stories, I have to constantly keep myself together with every single negative emotion sending to brain. The striking sun hits, the disappointment of running slope, the burning sensation in feet and lower legs, were all matters too good to be ignored.

Race result (available for download here)

It was the long-awaited finishing arch standing in front of me. I passed it with full strength and clocked in at 5 hours 39 minutes. It felt so good and all the things which sound impossible or unreal in life suddenly made a turn in myself. This is my run, my pace and my personal timing. I had improved significantly by 1 hour compared to the first PBIM 3 years back.

Wefie after crossing the line :)
#SCKLMKTip3: The runner can now download their race result and e-certificate by visiting to this link.

Thanks to all relentless volunteers working through the night and day, your awesome company and helping hands are greatly needed and appreciated.
Thanks to fellow marathon runners, the determination and motivational words show massive support to everyone, well at least for me. I heard “Come on bro, don’t give up” uttered from a runner from right while I was struggling at the Bukit Tunku area (KM 36), yet they are fresh in my head still.
Thanks to my girl, for willing to wake up earlier than most of the half marathon runners and getting to the race venue with me. You are an official finisher of Half Marathon today! Miles to go…
Last but not least, thanks to SCKLM for providing the best hospitality to all participants before, during and post run. That would be great if you can retain the 25% discount for 2015 individual category participants in future SCKLM :p

Well done SCKLM 2016!! See you next year.

Comments